Thursday, June 25, 2009

BLOGS.....My interest

The blogs I chose for my list hit home to me. The first is stroke awareness. My best friend, at the age of 35 had a massive stroke what they call "stroke in the young". I believe they call it this instead of 'we don't know why in the hell someone this young would have a stroke' to make people feel better about it. Every day activities that I used to take for granted are things she can not do for herself. Clapping at a ballgame, laughing at a joke, typing with two hands on a computer, or just having a conversation with more than one person at a time.

The second blog I have added was Special Needs Kids. I am fortunate enough to have just about every special needs student go through my class in a school year. Luckily my tech ed class is a hands on class and 90% of these kids succeed in this type of setting. However, this is not the case for these kids in other classes. I hear teacher complain everyday about having to provide 'modified' assignments for these students. ".Wow" you mean do our job and make sure every child gets the concept we are teaching. I stand up for these kids when other push them aside, they all have so much potential if we as 'adults' would just give them the opportunity.

3 comments:

melonie'snewglifeblog said...

I so agree with you about special needs children. Studies show these children along with children labeled "at risk" thrive educationally when learning is technology based. I also have to agree I find it very disheartening to hear other educators complain about having to modify their lessons. Teaching is a full time job with full time responsibilities.

Rachel said...

Liz-- Thanks for adding blogs that you clearly do have an interest in. Your blog looks great too!

Unknown said...

I love your straight to the point--do our jobs. We are here to educate all students--not just the smart ones. Thanks for the reminder. I taught special education for 10 years before I got a business education job so I have a soft spot for special needs kids. In some cases they are the kids who work the hardest because everything school related is difficult for them. I hope you are enjoying the river.